- Why did you decide to become an instructor?
It is very satisfying to see when a student who learned something about data analysis from me then applies in real research practice.
- What courses do you teach in the Computational Biology program?
I lead one block on omics analysis in the “Functional interpretation of high-throughput data” course.
- What are your teaching philosophy and teaching style?
First, I’m a big fan of going deep into specific topics rather than just skimming the surface. Even though approach can only cover a limited amount of topics, it teaches the students how to think about data analysis. Second, I’m trying to be very interactive. A lecture where we spend half of the time on questions that came up from the audience is a great lecture.
- How do you use technology in the classroom?
I just do regular slide-based teaching. In the MS-CB course, we furthermore discuss code the students have written as their homework via screensharing.
- Have you involved your students in your research?
Yes, all our thesis projects are real research projects. We never give our projects that are just for teaching purposes.