Graduate School of Medical Sciences

You are here

International Students


We would like to welcome all international students to Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences. The Graduate School office is your primary point of contact that oversees your immigration status.

Please utilize the information below as a guide for keeping your immigration status current. It is your responsibility to secure and maintain your status as a student in the United States. If we can be of any help in facilitating your status, please let us know.

Thank you for choosing our institution to further your education.


W. Marcus Lambert
Director of Diversity and Student Services
Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences

Immigration Status

  • International students attending Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences (WCGS) must have a current F-1 student visa.
  • An I-20 document ("Certificate of Visa Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student Status") is necessary to apply for the F-1 visa. WCGS issues I-20's to its incoming international students when they accept the offer to enroll in the Graduate School. The school must annually endorse each student's I-20.
  • International students transferring to the WCGS from another U.S. educational institution must complete a “Transfer Clearance Form” from WCGS.
  • The student is responsible for maintaining legal status by keeping his/her passport valid, registering annually with WCGS, and reporting changes in status and location. The student must report any change in level of study or change of program as soon as it is approved by WCGS.
  • Travel abroad requires considerable advance planning to comply with all immigration regulations. A valid passport, F-1 visa stamp, a current I-20 with a travel signature good for 12 months (6 months if on OPT), and an enrollment statement are generally all required.
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) authorizes students to obtain paid, professional-level employment related to their fields of study for a period of 12 months.
  • International students must not over stay the completion date indicated on the I-20 without requesting a program extension. If you are unable to complete your studies by the specified date, you must apply for an extension at least 90 days before the completion date to maintain legal status in the U.S. Contact to process the extension.

Requirements for an F-1 student visa

For a comprehensive list of requirements and steps to apply for an F-1 visa, please visit: Please be sure to gather:

  • A valid passport. Passports must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of entry.
  • A completed Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160)
  • A passport photo
  • Proof of enrollment or acceptance letter at the time of interview
  • A SEVIS I-20 and SEVIS I-901 fee receipt

You may be required to provide:

  • Evidence of financial support
  • Evidence of your intent to depart the United States upon completion of the course of study (e.g. a bank statement from the country of residence, proof of property ownership and/or evidence of family ties).

The Social Security Number

All individuals who receive income in the U.S. are required to have a Social Security Number (SSN). As such, foreign national students at the Graduate School are required to obtain a SSN.  A SSN will allow you to receive your stipend, register with the school’s insurance company, file for taxes and carry out other financial transactions. While WCGS will help facilitate the process of obtaining a SSN by providing immigration documents and a letter certifying student status, it is the responsibility of the student to properly apply and obtain a SSN.

Students must be present on campus and have been registered in SEVIS 10 business days prior to reporting to the social security office to receive a SSN. 

Tax Information

Please see the PDF document Tax Information for International Students to learn about the U.S. tax system and responsibilities related to federal and state taxes.

All WCGS students have the legal responsibility to file U.S. tax returns. Because graduate student stipends are considered taxable income, federal and state taxes are withheld from students' paychecks. Many factors impact whether an international student pays annual income taxes or receives a refund of all or some of the withheld taxes—such as the student's residency status and the terms of any tax treaty his/her country may have with the U.S.

The Graduate School hosts an annual information session with a representative from the federal tax agency, the Internal Revenue Service, to provide tax advice to international students. Students have the opportunity to ask personal and specific tax questions.

Student clubs

Student can find information on various student groups both on the graudate school website and the diversity and inclusion website.

Contact us

For assistance with any immigration related affairs, please contact us at or by phone at 212-746-6565.

Ready to start?
Apply now
Need more info?
Ask a question
Follow us on
1300 York Ave. Room A131 New York, NY 10065 Phone: (212) 746-6565 Fax: (212) 746-5981