Visa Renewal/Application

An F1 student can legally remain in the U.S. with an expired visa as long as your I-20 has not expired and you are fully registered for coursework. However, students cannot reenter the U.S. with an expired F1 visa except in certain limited circumstances only involving short travel to Canada or Mexico.

To renew your F1 visa, you need to follow the same requirements as a student who is applying for an F1 visa for the first time. We recommend that you prepare the following documents:

  • I-20 form
  • Online Visa Application Form DS-160
  • Passport (valid six months into the future)
  • A passport photo
    • You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. Your photo must be in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.
  • Visa application fee receipt
  • SEVIS fee payment receipt
    • If you have already paid your I-901 Fee and would like to check your payment status and/or print your I-901 Payment Confirmation, visit I-901 Fee
  • Letter of Enrollment Verification
  • Any additional documentation requested by your U.S, embassy or consulate

The application instructions and required documentation may vary by U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Please consult the instructions on the US Embassy or Consulate website to learn about the specific requirements to apply for a student visa in your country. Although we encourage students to apply for a visa in their home country, we advise you to keep open the possibility of travelling to another nearby country’s embassy or consulate if you are unable to travel to or apply in your own country.



Clive Liew

Student Services Administrator

Book an appointment with WCGS International Student Services using SetMore

Need more info?
Ask a question
Follow us on

Weill Cornell Medicine Graduate School of Medical Sciences 1300 York Ave. Box 65 New York, NY 10065 Phone: (212) 746-6565 Fax: (212) 746-5981